Ostomy leaks are a concern for many people. We explore the causes of leaks and describe how a good ostomy belt can help reduce the risk of leaks. We also offer specialized content for WOCN (Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nurse) professionals about ostomy belts.
My Ostomy Leaks
Ostomy pouch leaks can be avoided by being aware of the most common causes of a leak. Leaks occur is as many as 82% of ostomates. Ostomy leaks affect the stoma and the skin surrounding the stoma.
- A secure seal of the pouching system is necessary to prevent leakage and protect your skin.
- To protect the skin, the opening of the wafer should fit snugly around your stoma.
- Skin irritation can also contribute to leakage because the wafer may not adhere properly.
- The most common cause of skin problems is irritation due to urine or fecal matter on the skin.
- Having a properly sized pouch system that fits closely around the stoma will prevent leaks under the skin barrier.
- Talk to you Ostomy Nurse in order to maintain a properly fitting pouch system.
The Celebration Ostomy Support Belt prevents leaks by providing enhanced contact of your pouch and wafer around your stoma.
Other Helpful Resources
These organizations and blogs offer you information to help stop your ostomy pouch from leaking: